Difference between Numerical Ability and Quantitative Aptitude
In the world of mathematics and data, there are two different kinds of questions that you can be asked. These are numerical ability and quantitative aptitude.
Numerical Ability and Quantitative Aptitude are two terms that are used interchangeably. They are both used to describe your ability to solve mathematical problems and understand numbers. However, the two terms have different meanings.
The main difference between numerical ability and quantitative aptitude is that numerical ability is more concerned with the manipulation of numbers, while quantitative aptitude is concerned with the understanding of numbers.
Before we move to the differences, let’s understand what are Numerical Ability and Quantitative Aptitude:
- Numerical Ability: Numerical Ability is the skill of understanding numbers, performing calculations and solving problems related to arithmetic. It mainly involves mental arithmetic, algebra, geometry and probability. It also includes questions related to time management and data interpretation.
- Quantitative Aptitude: Quantitative Aptitude is the ability to solve quantitative problems without using any mathematical tools such as calculators or computers. It involves solving word problems based on arithmetic, algebra and geometry.
Now, let’s move to Numerical Ability vs Quantitative Aptitude:
Major differences between Numerical Ability and Quantitative Aptitude
|Numerical Ability||Quantitative Aptitude|
|Numerical Ability deals with numbers.||Quantitative aptitude deals with logic.|
|In numerical ability, there are only numbers and no symbols to represent variables.||In quantitative aptitude there are both numbers and symbols to represent variables.|
|In numerical ability, you have to perform operations on given data.||In quantitative aptitude you have to solve problems based on given data.|
|Numerical ability is mostly used for business purposes.||Quantitative aptitude is used by a wide range of professionals like engineers, accountants, scientists etcetera.|
|Numerical ability questions in tests deal with numbers like fractions, percentages and ratios.||Quantitative aptitude questions in tests deal with abstract concepts such as algebraic equations or geometry problems which require more thinking power to solve it successfully without making any mistakes or assumptions.|
Note that sometimes, the question might also be asked as “distinguish between Numerical Ability and Quantitative Aptitude”.
- Difference between Recognised Provident Fund and Unrecognised Provident Fund
- Difference between Verification and Vouching
- Difference between Advancing Monsoons and Retreating Monsoons
In conclusion, it’s important to know the difference between numerical ability and quantitative aptitude. Numerical ability is a fundamental skill that helps you work with numbers, while quantitative aptitude involves a deeper understanding of how numbers work together. To be successful in your career, you need to ensure that both are strong.
You can view other “differences between” posts by clicking here.
If you have a related query, feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Also, kindly share the information with your friends who you think might be interested in reading it.