Beautiful Images from 38 World Heritage Sites in India
India ranks 6th in the world when it comes to the number of world heritage sites recognized by UNESCO. Currently, India has 38 world heritage sites – 30 cultural, 7 natural, and 1 mixed-criteria site.
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) recognizes important cultural and natural places around the world. It works as per the rules of the UNESCO World Heritage Convention, 1972.
Visiting these world heritage centres will gather you a lot of knowledge about the world’s history, art, culture, and nature.
Here are some stunning and eye-opening ? photos from all the 38 world heritage sites located in India.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India Images
You will find the names of the sites along with the year when they got added to the world heritage sites list by UNESCO.
Cultural Heritage Sites
1. Agra Fort (1983)
2. Ajanta Caves (1983)
3. Archaeological Site of Nalanda Mahavihara at Nalanda, Bihar (2016)
4. Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi (1989)
5. Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park (2004)
6. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) (2004)
7. Churches and Convents of Goa (1986)
8. Elephanta Caves (1987)
9. Ellora Caves (1983)
10. Fatehpur Sikri (1986)
11. Great Living Chola Temples (1987,2004)
12. Group of Monuments at Hampi (1986)
13. Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram (1984)
14. Group of Monuments at Pattadakal (1987)
15. Hill Forts of Rajasthan (2013)
16. Historic City of Ahmadabad (2017)
17. Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi (1993)
18. Jaipur City, Rajasthan (2019)
19. Khajuraho Group of Monuments (1986)
20. Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya (2002)
21. Mountain Railways of India (1999, 2005, 2008)
22. Qutb Minar and its Monuments, Delhi (1993)
23. Rani-ki-Vav (the Queen’s Stepwell) at Patan, Gujarat (2014)
24. Red Fort Complex (2007)
25. Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka (2003)
26. Sun Temple, Konârak (1984)
27. Taj Mahal (1983)
28. The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement (2016)
29. The Jantar Mantar, Jaipur (2010)
30. Victorian Gothic and Art Deco Ensembles of Mumbai (2018)
Natural Heritage Sites
31. Great Himalayan National Park Conservation Area (2014)
32. Kaziranga National Park (1985)
33. Keoladeo National Park (1985)
34. Manas Wildlife Sanctuary (1985)
35. Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Parks (1988, 2005)
36. Sundarbans National Park (1987)
37. Western Ghats (2012)
Mixed-criteria Heritage Sites
38. Khangchendzonga National Park (2016)
Wrapping it Up
So, this was it – beautiful images from World Heritage Sites in India.
Now, it’s your turn:
Have you ever visited any of the world heritage centres mentioned here? Or, planning to visit one? Let me know in the comments below right now.
Also, share this with the people who you think might be interested in visiting these places or have already visited.