A compass is a tool used to find directions. There are two types of compasses – the prismatic compass and the surveyor compass.
The main difference is that the prismatic compass is portable and primarily used for field work while the surveyor compass is larger and more accurate, and is used for surveying and mapping land.
Before we move to the differences, let’s understand what are Prismatic Compass and Surveyor Compass:
- Prismatic Compass: A prismatic compass is a small, hand-held compass that is used to find directions in the field. It is often used by hikers, campers, and other outdoor enthusiasts.
- Surveyor Compass: A surveyor compass, also known as a transit compass, is a larger, more accurate compass that is used by surveyors to measure and map land. It has a telescope and a rotating magnetized needle, and is mounted on a tripod for stability.
Now, let’s move to Prismatic Compass vs Surveyor Compass:
Major differences between Prismatic Compass and Surveyor Compass
|Prismatic Compass||Surveyor Compass|
|The prismatic compass is portable and can be carried in a pocket or bag.||The surveyor compass is larger and requires a tripod for stability.|
|The prismatic compass has a simple magnetic needle and a rotating bezel (ring),||The surveyor compass has a more advanced magnetized needle and a telescope for measuring angles.|
|The prismatic compass is primarily used for recreational purposes and general direction-finding.||The surveyor compass is used for professional surveying and mapping work.|
|The prismatic compass is less expensive than the surveyor compass.||The surveyor compass is more expensive than the prismatic compass.|
|The prismatic compass is smaller and lighter than the surveyor compass||The surveyor compass is bigger and heavier than the prismatic compass|
Enhance your style quotient while also being supremely functional with:
- Waterproof and scratch-resistant
- Anti-theft pockets
- Cushioned laptop compartment
- Side bottle pockets
- External USB port
- Padded shoulder straps
- Compartment for 10.2-inch tablet
- Durable leather handle
Note that sometimes, the question might also be asked as “distinguish between Prismatic Compass and Surveyor Compass”.
- Difference between Fixed Capital Account and Fluctuating Capital Account
- Difference between Physical Adsorption and Chemical Adsorption
- Difference between Statement of Affair and Balance Sheet
Both the prismatic compass and the surveyor compass are useful tools for finding directions, but they are designed for different purposes and offer different levels of accuracy and convenience.
You can view other “differences between” posts by clicking here.
If you have a related query, feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Also, kindly share the information with your friends who you think might be interested in reading it.