Difference between Homosphere and Heterosphere
The terms homosphere and heterosphere are used to describe different layers of the Earth’s atmosphere.
The main difference is that the homosphere is a region of the atmosphere where the composition of gases is relatively constant whereas the heterosphere is a region of the atmosphere where the composition of gases varies with altitude.
Before we move to the differences, let’s understand what are Homosphere and Heterosphere:
- Homosphere: The homosphere refers to the lower portion of the Earth’s atmosphere, from the surface up to an altitude of about 80-100 kilometers. In this region, the composition of the atmosphere is relatively uniform, with the same proportions of gases throughout.
- Heterosphere: The heterosphere refers to the upper portion of the atmosphere, from about 80-100 kilometers up to the edge of space. In this region, the gases are not uniformly mixed, but are separated into distinct layers based on their molecular weight.
Now, let’s move to Homosphere vs Heterosphere:
Major differences between Homosphere and Heterosphere
|In the homosphere, the gases are well mixed and their concentrations are uniform.||In the heterosphere, the gases are separated by their molecular weight and their concentrations vary with altitude.|
|The homosphere extends from the Earth’s surface up to about 80-100 km.||The heterosphere extends from the top of the homosphere up to the exosphere, which is the outermost layer of the Earth’s atmosphere.|
|The primary gases in the homosphere are nitrogen and oxygen.||The primary gases in the heterosphere are hydrogen and helium.|
|The homosphere is the region where weather occurs and where aircraft and balloons can operate.||The heterosphere is too thin and too high for most aircraft and balloons.|
|The homosphere is the region of the atmosphere where we live and breathe.||The heterosphere is largely inaccessible to humans and is mainly studied by remote sensing instruments on satellites.|
Note that sometimes, the question might also be asked as “distinguish between Homosphere and Heterosphere”.
- Difference between Atmosphere and Environment
- Difference between Air and Atmosphere
- Difference between Biome and Biosphere
The homosphere and heterosphere are two distinct regions of the Earth’s atmosphere, with different compositions, mixing characteristics, thermal properties, and atmospheric phenomena. Understanding the differences between the two is important for studying the behavior of the atmosphere as a whole, and for predicting how it might respond to changes in the environment.
You can view other “differences between” posts by clicking here.
If you have a related query, feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Also, kindly share the information with your friends who you think might be interested in reading it.