Difference between Center and Centre

You may have noticed that some words have different spellings depending on where you are in the world. Center and centre are two words that can cause confusion because they have different spellings in American English and British English.

The main difference is that center is the spelling used in American English, while centre is the spelling used in British English.

Before we move to the differences, let’s understand what are Center and Centre:

  • Center: The center is the middle point of something, often the point equidistant from all boundaries or edges of an object or space.
  • Centre: “Centre” is the spelling commonly used in British English to refer to the middle point of something. It has the same meaning as “center”.

Center vs Centre

Now, let’s move to Center vs Centre:

Major differences between Center and Centre

Center Centre
Center is the American spelling. Centre is the British spelling.
“Center” is more commonly used in the United States. “Centre” is more commonly used in the United Kingdom and other countries that use British English.
Center is pronounced with a soft “s” sound. Centre is pronounced with a hard “s” sound.

That’s it.

Note that sometimes, the question might also be asked as “distinguish between Center and Centre”.

Also see:

Final words

“Center” and “Centre” are two different spellings of the same word. “Center” is the American spelling, while “centre” is the British spelling. They both mean the same thing – the middle point of something. So whether you use “center” or “centre” in your writing, just make sure to be consistent with your spelling!

You can view other “differences between” posts by clicking here.

If you have a related query, feel free to let us know in the comments below.

Also, kindly share the information with your friends who you think might be interested in reading it.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *