Soil is an essential component of agriculture, as it is the foundation of all plant growth.
The main difference is that the black soil is rich in organic matter and good for growing crops while laterite soil is mostly made of clay and not good for growing crops.
Before we move to the differences, let’s understand what are Black Soil and Laterite Soil:
- Black Soil: Black soil is a type of soil that is rich in organic matter, clay and also contains a high amount of humus. It is dark in color, which is why it is also known as “black cotton soil.”
- Laterite Soil: Laterite soil is a type of soil that is mostly made of clay. It is usually red or yellow in color and is known for its poor fertility. Laterite soil is not suitable for growing crops as it lacks essential nutrients and has poor water retention.
Now, let’s move to Black Soil vs Laterite Soil:
Major differences between Black Soil and Laterite Soil
|Black Soil||Laterite Soil|
|Black soil is dark in color.||Laterite soil is red or yellow in color.|
|Black soil is rich in organic matter.||Laterite soil is mostly made of clay.|
|Black soil is good for growing crops.||Laterite soil is not good for growing crops.|
|Black soil is found in areas with low rainfall.||Laterite soil is found in areas with high rainfall.|
|Black soil is found in the northern and central regions of India.||Laterite soil is found in the southern and eastern regions of India.|
Enhance your style quotient while also being supremely functional with:
- Waterproof and scratch-resistant
- Anti-theft pockets
- Cushioned laptop compartment
- Side bottle pockets
- External USB port
- Padded shoulder straps
- Compartment for 10.2-inch tablet
- Durable leather handle
Note that sometimes, the question might also be asked as “distinguish between Black Soil and Laterite Soil”.
- Difference between Static Friction and Sliding Friction
- Difference between Strait and Isthmus
- Difference between Audit Report and Audit Certificate
Black soil and laterite soil are both types of soil, but they have some important differences.
Black soil is rich in organic matter and good for growing crops, while laterite soil is mostly made of clay and not good for growing crops. It is important to know the difference between these two soils because it helps us to understand what type of crops can be grown in different areas.
You can view other “differences between” posts by clicking here.
If you have a related query, feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Also, kindly share the information with your friends who you think might be interested in reading it.