Looking for advantages and disadvantages of Multipurpose River Projects?
We have collected some solid points that will help you understand the pros and cons of Multipurpose River Projects in detail.
But first, let’s understand the topic:
What is Multipurpose River Projects?
Multipurpose river projects are water reservoirs that are used for multiple purposes. These projects are constructed to provide water for domestic, industrial and agricultural needs, but also to generate electricity and increase tourism.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Multipurpose River Projects
The followings are the advantages and disadvantages of Multipurpose River Projects:
|Development of industry and employment generation||Makes it difficult for aquatic fauna to migrate|
|Helps in generating electricity||Causes disputes between different states and the displacement of local communities|
|Helps in flood control||Adverse effects on the soil quality and the changes in cropping pattern|
|Provides irrigation facilities||Higher Cost of Hydropower|
|Develop recreation facilities||Adverse environmental impact|
Advantages of Multipurpose River Projects
- Development of industry and employment generation – Multipurpose river projects helps in developing industries along with employment generation. It also reduces migration from rural areas to urban areas and helps in fulfilling the basic needs of people like food, clothing, shelter and education etc.
- Helps in generating electricity – Multipurpose river projects will generate electricity through hydroelectric power plants (HEPs). These HEPs are located at suitable locations where there is a high potential for hydropower generation.
- Helps in flood control – Floods cause havoc in many areas and affect millions of people all over the world every year. If there is no proper flood control system in place then it can lead to serious problems like damage to property and loss of lives too! Thus, multipurpose river projects help in controlling floods as well as protecting human lives from any kind of damage caused due to floods during heavy rains or high tides etc., when water levels rise dangerously high!
- Provides irrigation facilities – The main aim of multipurpose river projects is to provide irrigation facility to the farmers. In this way, they can grow crops and earn their livelihood by selling them in the market.
- Develop recreation facilities – Multipurpose river projects helps in developing recreation facilities like boat rides etc., which provides recreational opportunities for people living nearby as well as tourists.
Disadvantages of Multipurpose River Projects
- Makes it difficult for aquatic fauna to migrate – The natural flow of the rivers is altered by these projects, which makes it difficult for aquatic organisms to migrate and thrive.
- Causes disputes between different states and the displacement of local communities – Many times, state agencies that are responsible for managing these projects do not work together as a whole, causing issues with water sharing agreements, which leads to disputes between different states. This also causes displacement of local communities whose livelihoods have been disrupted by these projects.
- Adverse effects on the soil quality and the changes in cropping pattern – The changes in the natural flow of rivers can lead to adverse effects on soil quality, which can affect crop yields as well as other aspects such as food security. These changes also change cropping patterns within a given area, which can negatively impact food security as well.
- Higher Cost of Hydropower – The costs associated with building dams and other infrastructure necessary for hydropower production are often much higher than those associated with building hydroelectric dams alone.
- Adverse environmental impact – Multipurpose river projects can have an adverse environmental impact on the surrounding area. This can include water pollution from flooding, as well as changes in the natural flow of rivers which can cause poor sediment flow and affect ecosystems.
- Advantages and disadvantages of Non-Verbal Communication
- Advantages and disadvantages of Drip Irrigation
- Advantages and disadvantages of Sustainable Development
You can view other “advantages and disadvantages of…” posts by clicking here.
If you have a related query, feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Also, kindly share the information with your friends who you think might be interested in reading it.